Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Of Their Time


E. Boyer
I was thinking about  a woman I knew a long time ago who wore acorn earrings and loved birds and lakes and nature.  She was lovely and quick and her access to interesting topics took no more effort than pulling scarves from a bag.  It wasn't until she passed away that I learned of her work as a renowned conservationist and of her academic accolades which would humble the most learnedly among us.  During that time, I often had the privilege  of being in the company of similar such people.  They were unfathomably accomplished yet, in common, they had the distinction of being remarkably humble.  They were engineers, bacteriologists and developers of vaccines that are still used today, Mathematicians of concepts and theories that remain undisputed, physicians, renowned anthropologists and professors.  The intellectual giants of their time.   Open to topics of the imagination, the light of intellect shone all around them.  Still, never boastful but, always interested.  Warm and genuine.  They held a casual conversation very dear.  They didn't do power lunches...they brought sandwiches, wrapped in waxed paper, to work and a walk in the park served just as well as a board room.  To have met them all those many years ago and to Google them today, gives me great pause because they never spoke of their success.  I simply didn't know.  Grounded in humility and with reverence for Emily Post..manners were second nature to them. Heed, they did, the words of the French author who said "It is as proper to be boastful alone as it is ridiculous to be so in company." They were Ladies and Gentlemen.  Men and women who had earned their bragging rights but thought better than to exercise them.  It wouldn't do to display the many feathers in their collective cap.  They knew there was much they had yet to do. 
It's otherworldly to me now when, so often these days we're bombarded with unsolicited recitations of nearly everyone's resume`.  Rarely are we left with any curiosity or wonderment...accomplishments are now so crowed about.  I sometimes wonder if I missed the seminar on "How to summarize in three minutes or less that you're highly educated, sought after, successful, powerful and run in all the important circles."  I often find myself longing for a surprise about someone.  Perhaps its generational.  Even the children of that time didn't seem as haughty.  I'm sure there must be a study that could explain the shift simply enough...insecurity, a more competitive work environment, a few too many personal empowerment seminars.  I don't know.  I suppose I'm feeling nostalgic for a time when people really were remarkable...even though they didn't say so.