Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Five Minutes

E. Boyer

Blowers blow, mowers mow, hammers bang, babies cry, music blares, doors slam, mufflers roar, dishes clink, balls bounce, birds squawk, bells ring, drums beat, horns honk, and thusly on and on.

I read the thread, several weeks ago on Nextdoor about a call to the authorities due to a dog barking while in the Dracena dog park. I gathered from the thread that it’s been determined that five minutes of barking is considered excessive.  My goodness, five minutes? I should say from the outset that I’m not bothered by barking dogs. Nor am I bothered by crying babies, raucous party-goers or any of the other noisy things that exist.  These aren’t things that I love hearing at 1:00 a.m., but day-to-day I see them as naturally occurring in a neighborhood.

To be a little miffed by barking is one thing, but to make the decision to call law enforcement about it is, in my opinion, quite another. Good heavens, how can we manage to get through the challenges of the day if we can’t tolerate even five minutes of a barking dog? Why is the bark of a dog so vexing?  Why, of all things is it barking that drives one to the fence or to the phone to wage war? I ask sincerely because we often endure the year-long cacophony of neighborhood home remodeling projects complete with jackhammering and a poorly-tuned radio blaring day-in-day-out. Combine that with the onslaught of vehicles that roll in at 7:45 a.m. and take-up every available parking spot around your house, giant dumpsters and a port-a-potty all to the sound of a table saw for 8 hours every day for the duration of the project.

How about the neighbor whose conversations sound like the bellowing of a drunken sailor? I have a neighbor who truly sounds like the female version of Gilbert Gottfried and her loud voice never fails to startle.  It’s exactly what I imagine the public herald sounded like, making announcements in the Roman Forum!  Call the police? Of course not, but I do attest that it’s far more alarming than a barking dog.

Five a.m. walking groups, anyone? Indeed, and right below my bedroom window I’m treated to what sounds like 5 or 6 energetic walkers huffing, puffing and loudly chattering as if the whole world should be awake at this hour.  Though initially surprised by the inconsiderate gabbing at such a decibel and at such an hour, I confess I rather like it, now and use it as my M,W,F alarm clock to get up and do a few sit-ups and jumping-jacks that I otherwise wouldn’t do had my peaceful slumber not been interrupted.  File a complaint? No, I chalk it up to the inconsiderate obliviousness that currently plagues our society and use it to my advantage with abs of steel from the aforementioned sit-ups.

I find that these real-life examples help me put dog barking into perspective. Full disclosure, however, it was nip-n-tuck a time or two with the bellowing-drunken-sailor-lady.

What happens once the barking culprit is identified? What does one do with the dog once they’ve reached the five-minute limit? A muzzle? Confinement?  It doesn’t seem fitting, does it? Descendants of the ancient wolf, their “wild ancestry ignited by the scent of a competing canine” only to be squashed by a five-minute barking limit…oh, the injustice and humiliation put upon such a storied creature!

I suppose one could site the right to a peaceful existence, but where does that begin and end? Isn’t the constantly complaining neighbor also nuisance? As much as we’re entitled to a peaceful existence, are we not equally entitled to the simple pleasure of walking the dog, knowing that the dog may behave as a dog and occasionally bark?  If you told me that a dog was barking incessantly, day and night I would agree that intervention (and perhaps the installation of triple-pane windows) might be in order, but five minutes? Let’s face it; we decide what things we’ll tolerate and draw a line in the sand for those that we won’t.  Example:

Neighbor #1) Five minutes of barking = Is that the angels singing? Oh, it’s just my barking dog.
Neighbor #2) Five minutes of dog barking = The Hounds of Baskerville! Fetch my pistol!

Sigh…why must we take ourselves so seriously? For heaven’s sake, from time to time could we just take a deep breath and ask ourselves; how big of an ass am I being right now? If you’re calling the police for five minutes of dog barking, the answer is extra-large.  Couldn’t we gather-up just a tiny bit of tolerance?  Recruit a little patience? During this time when our country, nay most of the world seems to be smothered with the weight of a droning, hate-filled torrent, it seems that the sound of a barking dog would be charming. No?

To the woman who told of her experience on Nextdoor: I’m sorry to hear about your episode with a complaining park neighbor. Honestly, I wouldn’t give it a second thought.  As long as there are barking dogs there will be people to complain about them.  Such is the arrangement when neighbors and their sensibilities intersect. 

So, bark if you will, dogs and complain if you must, neighbors, but surely I won't be bothered by either.  The world is filled with noisy things and we have but a limited time to enjoy them…woof!