Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Smart Kids

Smart Kids
E. Boyer
There’s something on my mind so gird yourself because I’m going to burden you with it. At this point in our relationship, I feel like you’ll read at least some of it even though you really don’t want to.  I’m like the horrible wreck on the side of the freeway…you know you should look away but you just can’t help slowing down a little for a peek.  You don’t really want to, but you can’t help it…Anyway, here it is:
I’m not sure your kids are as smart as you think they are.  See?  Now you’re cranky and ready to turn the page.  But, you’re curious, too, aren’t you?  Oh, I know, some of you are saying that’s ridiculous and this clearly isn’t about my child because he/she spends most of their free time studying.  They’re at every before and after school study group and they take full advantage of every minute of face-time they can get with their teacher.  They’re known as “the smart kids.”  Well, these are exactly the kids I’m referring to.  Hear me out.  These smart kids that everyone talks about are the ones who get into all the top colleges.  But, are they really supposed to?  If they have to study that hard and devote that much time to studying, are they really smarter than the other kids?  The kids who don’t spend that kind of time studying?  I don’t know.  I only ask because I thought about it for hours on end the other day.  If the top colleges only take the best and the brightest, shouldn’t they take students whose good grades come more….naturally?  I’m no math genius, but if had the appropriate materials and settled in to study that material for 5 or 6 hours a day, with a tutor, for a semester, I’m pretty sure I could ace the exam.  By contrast, if I only devoted a minimal amount of time, without a tutor, I probably wouldn’t do as well.  But, what if instead of an A, I got a B-?  Couldn’t it be argued that the student who got a B- with little effort is actually smarter than the student who got an A only after exorbitant amounts of time studying?  Could it also be argued that the top colleges aren’t actually admitting students who are smarter but simply students who study more?  Does this type of student raise the average for those admitted to colleges so much so that it virtually wipes out the chances of the naturally smart student getting in?  I don’t know.  I also don’t know what we’re doing with our children.  What became of the glorious days of youth?  Locked in a study hall, I suppose.  How can we even begin to experience the wonder and beautiful essence of our children if they have so few free and unscheduled moments?  Do we even remember what a childhood is supposed to be?  As we prepare them for this viciously rigorous model of higher education have we considered whether or not they will be prepared with the priceless social skills that grow so naturally in a child when they are allowed to experience and enjoy the world and people around them…at their own pace?  In addition to academic achievement, will they experience the joy of play and imagination or will all of their free time be committed to the plan set in motion by their parents?  Will they know how to navigate on their own and at their own pace or will they be stunted and influenced by our constant input?  Will they move forward, driven by a genuine passion for their field of interest or will they dutifully go in the direction they are told they should? Will they be spirited children of wonder, intelligence and thought or will they merely meet the UC  requirements ?  I know some of you find my ramblings,  controversial, but who could argue with wanting an authentic childhood…for the smart child or the naturally smart child?   No, not a UC requirement but essential for so many other things.